We wake up daily and we compete. Against the world. Against ourselves and the person we were yesterday
This article originally appeared in The Bridge newsletter.
We wake up daily and we compete. Against the world. Against ourselves and the person we were yesterday. What usually separates winners and losers is the fact that the former puts up that fight daily knowing that while the odds may be stacked, they’re not insurmountable. We may see winners struggle, but rarely do we see them quit.
- Love, betrayal, shame, vulnerability. Jay-Z changes the game, again
- Andre 3000 looks back on the 10th anniversary of his Class of 3000 soundtrack
- Hip-Hop helped Hollywood save the biopic
- What “pivoting to video” really means
- An oral history of NBA Jam
- The fascinating artistic reason Jay-Z’s flow is a bit off on his new LP
- The end of mumble rap
- How to see what the Internet knows about you (and how to stop it)
- How gentrification threatens America’s music cities
- Making the case for Jamie Foxx as the supreme entertainer of our era
- Nike thought it didn’t need Amazon — then the ground shifted
- No I.D. talks crafting “500 ideas” to push Jay-Z
- Crafting the perfect Outkast playlist for summer
- Why 2017 is the year of reckoning for the streaming music business
Song of the week: The Perfect Outkast Playlist for Summer — ATLiens Andre and Antwan are pretty much agreed upon as one of the seminal duos in rap whose music connects with multiple generations. What better what to prove that idea than to pull together a collection of cuts that can soundtrack any family function, kickback, BBQ or whatever the hell else you and the crew might be get into this summer.
John Gotty is the founder of The Smoking Section. He can typically be found musing over music, kicks and more on Twitter (@JohnGotty) and Instagram (@jgotty). Be sure to sign up for his newsletter, ‘The Bridge.’